Monday, October 25, 2010

ghetto.






ghetto |ˈgetō|
noun ( pl. -tos or -toes)
a part of a city, esp. a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups.
• historical the Jewish quarter in a city : the Warsaw Ghetto.
• an isolated or segregated group or area : the relative security of the gay ghetto.
verb ( -toes, -toed) [ trans. ]
put in or restrict to an isolated or segregated area or group.

Not a watch, or a belt, or beat up looking car, or even an IMAX theatre with crummy seats.

I've always heard this term used loosely and it never did sit with well with me.
And no, it's not because I'm black.


The ghetto is a place where minorities are forced to live due to their economic status. The ghetto is a dangerous place where thousands of lives are lost and people are forced to be a part of a vicious cycle. Some are able to escape the harsh conditions, incumbent stereotypes, but many live and die there, not knowing any other way of life.

Our generation today uses terms and words loosely without really taking into consideration the gravity of the situations that took place behind certain words. Here are some of my favorites. Not.

"ghetto"
"Nigger"
"Nigga" - I don't care what people say, it's still derogatory even when you drop the "r"
"that's gay"
"no homo"
"stupid"
"you're racist!"

Ok, so there are many more words that could be put into this list, but I hope the idea comes across. I know it's something that I've been struggling with. I believe that words are really powerful. So, what is it that I'm really saying when I speak?



1 comment: